Pages

Sunday, April 3, 2011

C is for ...Coffee

I know.  Most of us don't send coffee in our kids' lunch boxes.  But coffee is so much a part of my day that I couldn't not write about it!  And it is usually part of my "lunch break" (if we can call it that!) as it is the one time of the day when I can usually drink most of a cup before it gets cold.  Besides, we talk about grown up stuff around here sometimes too!
 Really though, I was reading an article in the newest Eating Well Magazine about Coffee, and well, that was that, it was my new topic for the letter "C" (my original one, well, if you follow my Blog, you already know, but if this is your first visit, well, it was supposed to be "C is for our Crazy Cat", but that didn't fit in a lunch box either).
When I became a Mum, coffee became more than a morning wake-up.  It took on a new roll of connecting me to my fellow "Mums".  When our babies were very small (and playdates were sooo easy!) it would be, "Come for coffee, and the kids will play."  Those were the days when we would fill someone's living room with Mums and the babes would sit (or roll or lie) on the floor and look at each other, chew on toys and drool a lot.  There would be coffee and something yummy, like homemade cookies or some sort of cheese (Boursin!!) and crackers, and we would chat and scoop the occasional "scooter" away from the stairs or catch the "cruiser" before they knocked their 9 month old skull on the corner of the coffee table. When I started doing Daycare from home, coffee was part of my "grown-up world"; what separated me from the "masses".  It meant that I could drink something that the smaller humans couldn't, and they understood that, because it was "coffee".
   Something that disappointed me though, while I was reading the article was what they said about french press coffee, or boiled/unfiltered coffee,  (we love our Bodum).  It appears that this way of making coffee means that the coffee has higher levels of cafestol which is a compound that may increase blood levels of bad cholesterol.  However, the article goes on to talk about the other health perks of coffee, such as moderate comsumption (1-5 cups a day) may reduce the risks of dementia and Alzheimer's.  But I won't sit here and re-write the whole article (which is full of tasty recipes as well as other bits of nifty info that will surely be of interest to any coffee lover), just to say that it was some "food for thought" on many levels.

And a little boost for our local roasters here on the Island, and providers of delicious coffee both in store and for brewing at home...
I jsut wish they had a drive through!

Happy Packing!

And an A to Z blog participant that starts with the letter C ....Coffee, teapots and books oh my!

2 comments:

  1. Fellow A to Z Challenger stopping by. Love coffee! I have to drink decaf now - the leaded stuff makes me jittery - but I do love the flavor. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a coffee addict...must have at least 3 large mugs every morning...oh well, guess I'm safe from dementia!! Great post, found you from the A-Z Challenge, looks like it’s going to be a lot of fun, with maybe with a little bit of stress thrown in!! I’m now following you on GFC and I hope you have a chance to check out my blog!
    Monica
    (PS...I'm a fellow Canadian from the other coast!)

    http://oldermommystillyummy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say...
Thanks for stopping by!