Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What We ate Wednesday

Turkey Taco filling

Add the tomatoes
I love Jenn's "What I ate Wednesday" over at Peas and Crayons.  At our house, we ate Turkey Tacos (I know, I messed with the menu a little, but hey!  It's my kitchen!).
Turkey Tacos are always a big hit and so easy (as long as you remember to take the ground turkey out of the freezer!).
Turkey Tacos (for 8)
1 kg ground turkey (I like to use the mix: 1/2 dark meat, 1/2 breast meat from the butcher)
1-2 small sweet peppers chopped
1 small jalapeno (ribs and seeds removed), diced
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup Taco seasoning (see recipe below)
2 cups tomatoes/tomato sauce (I use unsalted canned tomatoes, crushed with the hand blender)

brown turkey, add veggies (not crushed tomatoes) and cook until soft 5-7 minutes.  Add seasoning, and 1 TBSP salt.  Cook another 7-10 minutes on low.  Add tomatoes, continue cooking for another 10 minutes on low.  
Serve on warmed tortilla shells(heat oven to 250F, wrap flat tortillas in foil and place in oven for about 10-12 minutes), with grated cheese, salsa, lettuce, diced tomatoes and plain yogurt.  


Avocado Salad
 We also had avocado salad with our tacos.  This is a recipe I first came across when we were visiting family in Ottawa this past summer.  My Aunt and Uncle took us to The Green Door vegetarian restaurant, and both my hubby and I fell in love with the avocado salad (my kiddos thoroughly enjoyed the lasagna, but not the chocolate cake ...I also really liked their cheese cake!).
When we got home from our trip, the first thing I wanted to do was figure out the recipe for that salad.  I searched the internet but came up empty handed.  Except for a restaurant review that included a comment about the avocado salad:  "It's basically just avocado, tomatoes and red onions with a bit of lemon juice."  So, I started with that...And eventually, got the seasonings right. 
So yummy!
          Avocado Salad (leave one of the pits in the salad to keep it from turning brown)
2-3 ripe avocados, coarsely chopped
2-3 ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1/2 medium red onion , sliced thin
the juice of two lemons
1/2 tsp salt flakes (Maldon is what I use)
Toss together and serve at room temperature.

And I promised to share the taco seasoning recipe...but I can't ...You see, it's taken awhile and well, I can let you see it...And I might even give you some for Christmas, but if I tell you, then it won't be my secret anymore.
The Joy of Cooking has a good basic recipe. 




 I usually finish my day with a banana (mostly to make sure that I actually get one!), so here is the picture of the bananas we go through in our house in approximately two days (some times less).  Yes, we buy 18 bananas at least three times a week.

Happy Packing!

Kim
The Bananas this family eats every two days...Yes, 18 in two days

2 comments:

  1. Kim, have you tried using those green bags to keep your bananas from ripening too quickly...the thought of you having to go to the store 3x a week to load up on bananas when you could just buy one case per week!!! I have used them and they work super well. Let me know if you'd like to try one and I'll set you up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandi, are you meaning those green bags for the curbside compost pick up? I will have to try that. thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say...
Thanks for stopping by!