Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Best Muffin recipe yet!

   Yesterday morning, I pulled out my regular muffin recipe and got busy making muffins before I headed out to attend a child development workshop.  In my haste to get things going, I added a little too much yogurt to the mixture (by about a 1/4 of a cup).  Rather than starting over again, I opted to add a little extra to the dry ingredients I already had prepared.  Rather than adding more flour, I added a half cup of quick rolled oats and a 1/3 cup of wheatgerm.  I had already been a little bit more generous with the butter than I normally am, so I figured this would fix things...
And boy did it ever!  They were wonderful (and yes, I say "were" because by the end of the day, they were all gone).  The little extra butter and the wheatgerm gave a subtle crunch to the top.  I love that about kitchen mistakes, sometimes they turn out magnificent!  (other times, they go in the garbage!).


So, for you to try...

Best Muffin Recipe Yet
Preheat oven to 400F and grease 12 cup muffin tin (or line with muffin papers)
2 cups whole grain flour (either whole wheat or whole spelt)
1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 TBSP Baking powder
3/4 TSP Baking soda
3/4 TSP salt
2 TSP ground nutmeg
Whisk together in a large bowl.  Add: (stirring with a fork)
1/2 cup quick oats (not the large flake ones)
1/3 cup wheatgerm
Set aside.  Prepare wet ingredients.  Combine in medium bowl and mix well:
1 cup brown sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
1/2 to 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 3/4 cup whole milk yogurt (I use 3.5 %)
Place one cup fresh or frozen blueberries in a small bowl.  Spoon 1/4 cup of dry ingredients over blueberries.  Shake slightly to ensure berries are coated with dry, and set aside.  Mix wet ingredients into dry, just until combined (you will still see dry and lumps are okay).  Fold berries and 1/4 cup of dry into mix.  
Spoon or scoop into prepared muffin tin. Bake for 24-26 minutes, or until golden on top and toothpick comes out clean.  Place on cooling rack and cool for 10-15 minutes.  Serve warm.  

Enjoy!  Great as a quick breakfast grab as you are heading out the door!

Happy Packing!

Kim




4 comments:

  1. They sound great. Maybe Geoff will bake me some. Usually I'm the baker around here, but being on the injured reserve...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. still had to go to Chrome to get the comment published. is it me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use firefox, but there is so much I don't know about those things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And, if we lived closer, I would make them for you! Just ask him, I am sure he will oblige!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say...
Thanks for stopping by!