Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Hamburger Soup

Hello All!

Reading through older posts, I realised that while I have mentioned Hamburger soup more than once (or twice even!) I haven't posted the recipe!

So, here we go (and we had it tonight for dinner, but I also fed it to the younger ones at lunch time as well, everyone loved it!)

Hamburger Soup for 12 (yes, 12)

1 package of Yves Veggie Ground Round (or 1.5 lbs of ground meat of your choice)
1 TBSP vegetable oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced small
6 carrots, peeled and diced
4 stalks celery, diced small

Heat oil in large soup pot, add onion, carrot and celery, cook until soft (6-7 minutes).  Add ground meat now, if using and cook well.  If not, wait until adding the liquid ingredients to add ground round.  Add the following ingredients, bring to a boil and then simmer for at least an hour, or all day!
1 medium yam or sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes (unsalted)
4 cups homemade chicken stock or 1 l container of low sodium chicken broth
2 cans consomme
1 can tomato soup or 1 1/3 cups homemade tomato soup
1 cup pumpkin or pureed squash
2 cups frozen or fresh green veggies (your choice, I use whatever is in the freezer ...usually peas or green beans, but you can use broccoli or bok choy)
4-6 cups water (depending on the size of your pot)
3/4 cup barley or other grain, I often use spelt (but I soak it for an hour first and then drain it)

Salt and pepper to taste.  I rarely add salt to this recipe, as the consomme adds plenty.  Over the years,  I have increased the amount of veggies and water to dilute the amount of salt in the original recipe, and everyone still loves it.
Serve on its own, or with bread and cheese.  And the leftovers make great lunches!
Enjoy!

Happy Packing!

Kim





For more great soups and stews for warming the family on a cold winter night, check out
Canadian Living Soups and Stews

1 comment:

  1. My Super Kid
    My Super Kid :- Get Nursery Rhymes, Story book, Kids Rhymes DVD & Children Books To Learn from My Super Kids, My Super Kid, MySuperKid
    My Super Kid
    My Super Kids
    Mysuperkid
    My Super Kids, My Super Kid, MySuperKid, Children books, Nursery Rhymes, Rhymes for kids, colouring book, Kids toys, kids book, story book/children story, kids cd/dvd, activity book, activity book for children, activity book for kid, educational app for kid, educational app for child, Learning and activity toys, Alphabets, puzzles, puzzles book

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say...
Thanks for stopping by!